Elon Musk reveals SpaceX rocket exploded BEFORE it was powered up – and says firm has NOT ruled out a mystery object hitting it in ‘most difficult and complex failure we have ever had’
- Musk tweeted on Friday asking for ‘support and advice’ on the blast
- SpaceX CEO said engines were off at the time, with no known heat source
- The September 1 blast destroyed Facebooks $200 million satellite
- Were claims footage dhows a drone, or even UFO, hitting rocket
It has been over a week since SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket exploded on the Cape Canaveral launchpad, destroying Facebook’s $200 million satellite in a massive fireball that rattled windows miles away.
Now, Elon Musk is asking the people of the internet for help in finding answers on what he’s called the ‘most difficult and complex failure’ the firm has ever experienced.
The billionaire SpaceX CEO took to Twitter on Friday seeking ‘support and advice’ as the investigation continues – and addressing claims that a mysterious object may have hit the rocket, Musk says they ‘have not ruled that out.’
Scroll down for video
The AMOS-6 communications satellite was aboard a Falcon 9 rocket which exploded during a test fire in Florida last week, destroying the rocket and its cargo (pictured left to right)
SATELLITE FIRM CLAIMING DAMAGES FROM SPACEX
The Israeli owners of the destroyed AMOS-6 satellite have reportedly been hard hit by the loss.
In a press conference on Sunday, Spacecom said it could seek $50m from SpaceX following the explosion on the launch pad last week.
AMOS-6 was supposed to provide home internet for Africa and the Middle East.
In addition, Facebook had signed a deal with Eutelsat to lease broadband capacity from the satellite as part of its efforts to increase internet connectivity across the African continent.
In a series of tweets early this morning, Musk revealed new details on the conditions of the rocket at the time of the blast, and asked users to send in any footage of the incident.
According to Musk, the engines were off and there was no known heat source present to trigger the explosion.
‘Still working on the Falcon fireball investigation. Turning out to be the most difficult and complex failure we have ever had in 14 years,’ Musk tweeted on Sept 9.
He continued, ‘Important to note that this happened during a routine filling operation. Engines were not on and there was no apparent heat source.
‘Support & advice from @Nasa, @FAA, @AFPAA & others much appreciated. Please email any recordings of the event to email@example.com.’
Alien hunters have developed their own theory of what caused SpaceX Falcon 9 to explode yesterday. Footage from the blast shows ‘an anomaly’ pass over at the same time as the blast and skeptics believe it was an alien air strike that sabotaged the mission
The SpaceX CEO also noted that they are investigating a sound that occurred just before the blast.
So far, the origin of this sound remains a mystery.
‘Particularly trying to understand the quieter bang sound a few seconds before the fireball goes off.
‘May come from rocket or something else,’ Musk tweeted.
In a series of tweets early this morning, Musk revealed new details on the conditions of the rocket at the time of the blast, and asked users to send in any footage of the incident
According to Musk, the engines were off and there was no known heat source present to trigger the explosion
Elon Musk is asking the people of the internet for help in finding answers on what he’s called the ‘most difficult and complex failure’ the firm has ever experienced
As the cause of the fireball continues to elude investigators, conspiracy theorists have proposed numerous explanations on what may have happened – including sabotage from a rival company, a drone collision, and of course, aliens.
And while some of these suggestions may be far off, the investigators are still considering the possibility that a third-party interference could have triggered the explosion.
Videos of the event shared on YouTube appear to show a mysterious object passing over the site just as the rocket bursts into flames. In regards to these claims, Musk says the team has ‘not ruled that out’
Elon Musk’s private space venture could face a bill of £37m following the explosion, however, the private firm has said it will not disclose terms of its contracts or insurance
Videos of the event shared on YouTube appear to show a mysterious object passing over the site just as the rocket bursts into flames.
In response to one user who asked if there’s ‘any reality’ in the claims that ‘something hit the rocket,’ Musk wrote: ‘We have not ruled that out.’
SpaceX has not publicly revealed the full extent of the launchpad’s damage, and it’s thought that the firm will likely remain grounded for nine to 12 months following the accident.