SpaceX chief executive, Elon Musk, stated that the explosion pf Falcon 9 rocket last week was the most difficult failure they ever had in 14 years.
(Photo : Scott Olson / Staff/Getty Images)
The SpaceX founder Elon Musk is evidently despondent with his Falcon 9 rocket’s explosion last week in Florida. He depicted it as “the most complex and difficult failure” they ever had in 14 years.
“Still working on the Falcon fireball investigation. Turning out to be the most difficult and complex failure we have ever had in 14 years,” Elon Musk wrote on Twitter. He further said that the company is currently investigating the accident. The investigation is directed by the Federal Aviation Administration’s Commercial Space Transportation Office, according to Reuters.
Elon Musk: launch pad accident ‘most difficult failure’ in SpaceX’s history https://t.co/nxEvB5QNt2
— Guardian Tech (@guardiantech) September 10, 2016
The rocket burst into flames on September 1, 2016. It was scheduled for launching two days later. The nine engines of the rocket had not been lit yet for a test firing when suddenly there was an explosion on the upper stage. Musk said that there was no apparent heat source. He further explained that the trouble appeared to originate around the upper stage’s oxygen tank, as noted by the Guardian.
Meanwhile, Dex Torricke-Barton, the SpaceX spokesman stated that they are continuing to thoroughly examine last week’s loss of Falcon, with support from the FAA, NASA, the US Air Force and industry experts. He further said that their priority is to safely and reliably return to flight.
The explosion caused about $200 million loss of communications satellite, which was owned by Israel-based Space Communication. The satellite was supposed to be used by Facebook and Eutelsat to provide internet connectivity in some parts of Africa. On the other hand, SpaceX has not spoken yet on how much damage was done to its launch pad, which was located at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.