The future launches of the SpaceX might get delayed due to the explosion of Falcon 9 on Thursday at 9:07am ET.
Xinwei last month agreed to buy Spacecom for $285 million, saying the deal was contingent on the successful launch and operation of Spacecom’s AMOS-6 satellite. Its other two launchpads in Florida and California weren’t affected by the explosion, and the company said it was “confident the two launch pads can support our return to flight and fulfill our upcoming manifest needs”.
AMOS-6 would have been the first satellite of Facebook’s Internet.org initiative to bring internet access to Africa, the Middle East, and Europe. The damaged launch pad, located at the Cape, was used by the company for seven of its eight Falcon 9 rocket launches this year. “We are disappointed by the loss but remain committed to our mission of connecting people to the Internet around the world”, a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.
One of the company’s uncrewed Falcon 9 rockets and a satellite were destroyed in an explosion on a launch pad in Florida.
SpaceX apparently experienced the mishap during pre-launch preparations during the static fire phase, which was supposed to be a routine check before the scheduled launch on Saturday. SpaceX rockets have exploded in the past, and the once-promising FalconX project is now plagued with all sorts of technical difficulties. Mark Zuckerberg, who is now in Kenya, is deeply disappointed with SpaceX and posted it on Facebook that they still have other technologies like Aquila, to connect the world. The explosion took place at Launch Complex 40 of the Air Force station, which is located close to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center. The explosion left Facebook chief executive, Mark Zuckerberg, without a satellite, which was integral for its plans to connect parts of sub-Sahara Africa to the internet.
A SpaceX rocket was being prepared for a test firing when it blew up.
SpaceX is the cheapest rocket launch provider and thereby preferred by the most.